Missed this event? You can register for the recorded version!
If you are an independent contractor or a freelance technical writer, you are being paid for your services by either an hourly rate (for however long they need you) or a fixed amount of money (to produce a specific deliverable).
Companies often ask you to sign their contracting agreements. Do you ever ask them to sign yours?
While I am not an attorney and am not qualified to give legal advice, I’m happy to share some lessons I’ve learned about what to contracts, and why.
This webinar covers:
- The difference between a contract, a letter of agreement, and other contracting terms
- How to document what you are going to do
- How to document what you are NOT going to do
- How to manage change requests (aka “mission creep”)
- How to set payment terms that favor you
- Other hard-won lessons learned from over 20 years of buying and selling corporate services
Jack Molisani is the president of ProSpring Technical Staffing, an employment agency specializing in content professionals: http://ProspringStaffing.com
He’s the author of Be The Captain of Your Career: A New Approach to Career Planning and Advancement, which hit #5 on Amazon’s Career and Resume Best Seller list.
Jack also produces the LavaCon Conference on Content Strategy and Technical Communication Management, to be held in (hopefully!) in October in Austin, TX and online: https://lavacon.org
Jack will raffle off a free copy of his book and a free virtual entrance to LavaCon at the end of the meeting!
This event is open to members and non-members.
- Santa Barbara chapter members: $0
- Los Angeles chapter members: $0
- Technical Editing SIG members: $0
- Students: $0
- Other STC members: $10
- Non-members: $20
Register for the Webinar:
Missed this event? You can register for the recorded version! Clicking the following button lets you register through Eventbrite for the recorded verison without leaving this site.
A joint STC Technical Editing SIG,
Santa Barbara STC, and
Los Angeles STC event